Thursday, August 27, 2009

Manufacturing Civilization

As i was reading the THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE FRONTIER IN AMERICAN HISTORY i came upon these two words that I chose to use as my title to this blog. I just fell in love with those two words, in my opinion they summarize the so called settlement.
First you have to understand i have strong feelings about the way this country was founded and built. They called it a free land i would love to travel back in time and ask our so called four fathers were the came up with the land of the free. i would really love to here what they would have to say.
I could write about this subject for ours, but it would go so far away from this reading
now about the paper in hand Frederick Turner said alot in this paper so many things one statement i liked was "the meeting piont between savagery and civilization" If we called them savages i wonder what they thought of us, here is a bunch of people new to this land"indian paradise" Turner said in his paper, coming in uninvited murdering the very soul of the land. we were the savages not them. but it was a good paper a little hard to follow but writen well.

3 comments:

  1. I really love the title that you chose for your blog. It fits so well with the articles in that the word “manufacturing” is man making something, which in this case was man making his own territory. I also think that a few things that you said in your blog were also very interesting. First off I like the fact that you pointed out that statement from Turners paper about the “meeting point between savagery and civilization” and how you talked about how the Native Americans must have viewed us Americans. I would totally have to agree on that point. We were the ones that went into their territory and started killing for their land, which sounds like we may have been more of the savages. In thinking about this, I was wondering what the exact definition of the word “savage” was. According to dictionary.com, the first definition of savage was fierce, ferocious, or cruel; untamed. The word in the definition that stood out to me the most was cruel. This is what I would see the American settlers if I were a Native American at the time. It is very cruel to come in someone’s home land, killing people, tearing apart families, and ruining homes to create gain for one’s self.
    One last thing that I would like to say is that I am like you and love my country. I am very grateful to be one of the lucky ones that get to live in this great country. But I would like to see some more of the Native American’s perspective in the studies of how America came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Nikki, great title! It got my attention before I even started reading your response. And yes, the Turner essay was hard to follow, it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.
    I chose to comment on yours right away when I got to that last paragraph, what you said about us being the savages not the Native Americans. Though I never would have been brave enough to put it so bluntly (I know some people feel the exact opposite), I completely agree with you on that! I mean I've never really been big into history or even politics, I usually tend to try and stay out of any type of debate, but it really irritates me every time "free land comes up" it wasn't free, we took it because we had the weapons too and felt that just because we were more civilized they were naturally "savages" and that therefore we had the right too. At least that's how I imagine it was. You're right it would be interesting to go back and ask the settlers what exactly their thoughts on that were. There used to be a play called “blue Jacket” that my mom and I would go see every year. I searched for it online and found out it stopped showing in 2007. It’s too bad, it was really good and related a lot to what we are talking about in class right now. If I find any good links talking about it I’ll try to remember putting it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if any one is interested in learning about the trail of tears hear is a great website
    http://www.cherokee-nc.com/index.php?page=9

    ReplyDelete